Monday, April 8, 2013

What Makes a Good Headshot? Part 6

She knows what I'm talking about.

A Makeup/Hair Artist

Guys, you do need basic foundation, and sometimes a lash darkener will work wonders on your pretty peepers. Ladies, makeup photographs waaaay differently than the naked eye sees it in real life. Real Life Makeup is too light and doesn't work. And let's be honest, who doesn't love letting someone else do their makeup? You don't have to worry about anything, you don't have to buy new product, you don't have to put on individual false eyelashes yourself! (I mean, seriously, what's harder than that!?)

Professional actors get their makeup done on set by professional makeup artists. You know when you see someone famous in person and you think, "Yeeesh!" It's because they're not wearing professional makeup artist applied makeup. I once had a client, a pretty young thing, who took headshots with me and decided to do her makeup herself. If the goal was to look like she wasn't wearing any, she accomplished that. She came to me a few month later and hired one of my makeup artists and after receiving her proofs, called me up. I'll never forget it. She said, "When I did my own makeup, I looked like I was an aspiring actress. With the makeup artist, I look like I'm already working regularly."

Again, your headshot is the most important tool you have! Invest in a good headshot photographer (you know, like one who has 20+ years experience doing it) invest in the hair and makeup artist, and invest in the retouching. Your headshot is what gets you in the door. Get good ones!

No comments:

Post a Comment